Monday, March 30, 2009

Finding Inspiration

One thing I learned in college was not to look at other fashion designers for inspiration. This is a problem for a few reasons:
  • You are not thinking creatively enough
  • You are looking at what was designed a year ago
  • You will inevitably copy what you're looking at, intentionally or not.

So when it comes to new soap designs, I definitely keep up on trends by looking at other soap makers, but I like finding new ideas in other places.

My all time favorite source of inspiration for The Soap Lab is looking at modern furniture and interior design, and since I'm a mom of 2 little kids I thank god for catalogs or else I would never know what's going on!

Interior design is a great source of ideas since it focuses on textures, color, shapes, and light. These are all elements that are perfect to interpret with glycerin. I have chosen some pictures that translate into some beautiful soaps (from www.westelm.com).

Tomorrow I will show you how I turned a classic Parsons Table into a new soap. See you then!