Tuesday, March 31, 2009

New Parsons Soap Blocks

This weekend while my husband was out of town, I was able to hit the kitchen once the kids went to bed and make some new soaps. This idea has been knocking around in my head for so long, but I wasn't sure how to execute it until just last week.

These soap blocks are inspired by Parsons tables. I read that this style is actually from the 1930's. A professor at Parsons challenged his students to come up with a piece of furniture that would look equally beautiful in wood, gold, mica, plain, or embellished.

Making these soaps took a bit of head scratching, since I couldn't build it like the tables are. Instead, I created the clear centers and cut away the "legs", then created a 3 layer soap (white, clear, white), and let the liquid white soap fill the cut out columns. Once I unmolded the soaps, I had to do a little plaining (planing?) to clean up the sides, but it was quick.

I'm thinking about making a little video about how I did this. Leave me a comment and let me know if you'd like to see that. Thanks!